Thursday, August 17, 2006

PINK LEMONADE ! ! !






Hello hello! I'm sorry I've been a bit MIA for a while, there's been a lot going on around here between work, planning and preparing my trip (10 days and counting!), and blah.. blah.. blah... (I'm going on a trip to Russia, which I've been dreaming about since grade school!) Anyway, on to the cupcakes!
Considering it's almost the end of summer, I thought I'd bake something in the spirit of the classic summertime lemonade stand. I used the recipe from Julie Hasson for Pink Lemonade Cupcakes . . . YUMMY! It was so nice and relaxing baking again, not to mention that Winston was really missing his volunteer job as "Quality Control Manager"!

As per Winnie's approval, here is the recipe:

PINK LEMONADE CUPCAKES
makes 10/preheat oven to 350/line muffin pan with liners

CUPCAKES:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
Pinch salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 egg whites
1/3 cup thawed frozen Pink Lemonade Concentrate
1/4 cup buttermilk
2 or more drops red food coloring

1. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg whites and lemonade concentrate. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of buttermilk, beating until just smooth. Add just enough food coloring to turn the batter a light shade of pink.
3. Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.

EASY BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:

3 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
Pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla

1. In a small bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed. beat together sugar, butter and salt until creamy. Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla, beating until frosting is smooth. Add food coloring if you wish.

2. Spread icing on cooled cupcakes with a knife or transfer to a pastry bag and pipe decoratively over cupcakes.

3. ENJOY ! ! !

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

11 comment(s):

I could eat the buttercream just by itself!

By Blogger DAISYCAKES, at August 29, 2006 2:48 AM  

I have this cookbook too and have found that none of the cupcakes rise as much as I hoped and that the cake texture is a bit dense. I've been thinking of replacing the all-purpose flour with cake flour. Has anyone tried this? And if so, does it give the cupcake a lighter texture?

By Blogger Carina, at September 11, 2006 9:35 PM  

Your blog is so cute! Those pink lemonade cupcakes sound DIVINE, and I want to try them soon. Actually, I just want to eat all those cupcake pictures; they look so delish ... I went to Russia right after grade ten. Let me know if you if have any questions about St. Petersberg. I was there for a month, but that was in 1997. I'll tell you what I remember... Definitely try some Russian ice cream. It's delicious!

By Blogger Elizabeth, at September 12, 2006 8:50 PM  

Hey there!! I just found you today!! Cannot wait to try some of these fab recipes!! Loving all your pics!! I'm so excited to have a new place to visit for daily fun and inspiration!! Thanks bunches!!
Happy Baking!!Happy Blogging!!
xoxo Jenny

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 22, 2006 5:25 PM  

I am making these for a bridal shower I'm hosting this weekend and I tried a test batch - wow, they are terrific! The icing is just amazing. I think I'm going to make half pink lemonade, and half raspberry lemonade - I can't wait to try to rasp ones! Thanks for the great post!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at September 27, 2006 7:09 AM  

Hey! Just found your blog. Boy, am I excited!
I'm going try some of your recipes. And I will get back to you should I have any questions. OK?

By Blogger eastcoastlife, at October 05, 2006 2:04 AM  

Okay . . . I thought this was a neat blog when I first visited, and I saved it to my desktop, hoping to see numerous additional posts. But it has been 3 months since your last post.

Bye Bye

By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 17, 2006 8:05 PM  

Hi! Sorry this rely is sooo late!

Lizzy: I got back the day before you posted, but thank you for the offer! Do you have any photos? I'd love to see the comparisons of now and then!

Thank you everyone for your kind words and I can't wait to bake more and be back in my normal routine!

Happy Thanksgiving! :-)

By Blogger DAISYCAKES, at November 20, 2006 9:23 PM  

I made these and they rocked! I substituted skim milk for the buttermilk (because I forgot the buttermilk...) and they came out perfectly. I added some of the lemonade mix to the frosting mix and had pink lemonade frosting. Its not really overkill, and its actually quite nice together!

By Blogger Melissa, at March 08, 2007 11:49 PM  

Oh my gosh! Saw this gorgeous cupcakes and just had to try them. And I'm glad I did - they are wonderful! Thanks for the great recipe!

By Blogger Nemmie, at October 06, 2007 3:31 PM  

These were a fun treat on a warm Spring day. Light and flavorful with a kick due to the added bit of lemon zest we added. And the fosting...we licked the bowl. Thanks for the great recipe! It's a keeper!

By Blogger Jami Lee, at April 28, 2008 6:22 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

Subscribe to cupcakescupcakes
Powered by groups.yahoo.com