Sunday, July 02, 2006

DOUBLE CHOCOLATE cupcakes & MINT BUTTERCREAM












Hello! The other day I made these awsome chocolate and mint cupcakes! They didn't last very long!
I used Julie Hasson's recipie for "Best Chocolate Cupcakes" (and they WERE!) and a basic buttercream icing recipie, substituting peppermint extract for the vanilla, I actually added a little extra and it was perfect!
I used the same star tip that I used for the Ice Cream Cupcakes and the Chocolate Brown Liners from Edsol.

CUPCAKES:
1 1/4 cups all purpose four
1/2 cup dutch process cocoa powder, sifted
(I used Hershey's cocoa instead b/c it's what I had)
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350
Makes 12 cupcakes


1. In a small bowl, mix together flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth. Alternately whisk in flour mixture and buttermilk, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until smooth and add the chocolate chips.
3. Scoop batter into prepared/lined pan. Bake in preheated oven for 22-27 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes, than remove and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.

MINT BUTTERCREAM ICING:
3 cups confectioner's sugar
1 cup unsalted butter
Pinch salt ( I used my little "pinch" spoon!)
1 tsp mint extract

1. In a small bowl using an electric mixer on low, beat together sugar, butter and salt until creamy. Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy. Add mint extract, beating until frosting is smooth. (At this point, I added a bit of green food coloring).
2. Spread icing on cooled cupcakes with a knife or transfer to a pastry bag and pipe over cupcakes.
3. ENJOY!!!!!!

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

10 comment(s):

Hello, I came across your site through MyBlogLog. I've just recently started taking a cake decorating class. These cupcakes sound great!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at July 16, 2006 10:42 AM  

yum! These look really good..and your blog is so cute! =)

By Blogger Culinarily Obsessed, at July 24, 2006 2:03 AM  

Hi! You have a very 'mouth watering' blog. Thanks for sharing such tempting recipes. I certainly love cupcakes.

By Blogger Heart of Rachel, at July 31, 2006 3:48 AM  

hello, would you tell us what piping tip number you used when you piped the butter cream? Would a wilton 108 do a good job

By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 16, 2006 11:28 AM  

Hi all! Thank you for the kind words! The tip is out of the Williams-Sonoma Mechanical Pastry Bag set, it hasn't got a number on it. But to describe it, it is basically a large star tip. I think the Wilton 108 would be ok!
Thanks for visiting!!! =)

By Blogger DAISYCAKES, at August 17, 2006 11:52 PM  

would that be 350 degree celcius or fahrenheit?
thanks

By Anonymous Anonymous, at October 17, 2006 7:57 AM  

Hello!
Again, sorry my reply is so late in coming, please forgive me!

The temperature is 350 degrees fahrenheit.
I hope they turned out yummy! :-)

By Blogger DAISYCAKES, at November 20, 2006 9:29 PM  

i really want to make these!! keep an eye out for my try at these on my blog.

By Blogger How To Eat A Cupcake, at June 02, 2007 4:08 PM  

Your mint chocolate chip cupcakes looked so good, i dropped my to-do list and made them. I used a box for the cake mix as it was too late in the day to start from scratch, but the frosting, oh my! it is the best i've ever had! Thanks for sharing!

By Blogger Katie, at June 18, 2007 8:36 PM  

Yummm, these looks divine!!!

By Blogger Pretty. Good. Food., at September 15, 2010 1:45 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

Subscribe to cupcakescupcakes
Powered by groups.yahoo.com