Sunday, June 04, 2006

TROPICAL ESCAPE . . .





Hello!
The weather here in NY has been pretty dark, rainy and gloomy the last couple of days, prompting daydreams of a tropical getaway. As that wasn't possible (darn!), I decided instead to create the smell and taste of it! I remembered a great Coconut recipe I had read in "125 Best Cupcake Recipes" by Julie Hasson and got to baking! I hope you all enjoy this recipe as much as it was enjoyed here!

COCONUT CUPCAKES
makes 12 cupcakes

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted and cooled
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
3 egg whites
1 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour, coconut, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together sugar and butter until well combined. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately beat in flour mixture and buttermilk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of buttermilk, beating until just smooth.
4. Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack. Top cooled cupcakes with frosting.

COCONUT RUM BUTTERCREAM

2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup sour cream
Pinch salt
1 tbsp coconut rum (or dark rum)

1. In a bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together confectioners sugar, butter, sour cream and salt until smooth. Add rum, beating until smooth.
2. Spread frosting over cooled cupcakes and refrigerate until ready to serve or for up to 8 hours.

The cake was good, but the icing was the best part!!!! (I did put just a little bit extra coconut rum into it. I think I might use a tad smaller amount of sour cream in the icing next time.)

**I had originally tried to make a pineapple buttercream, but it didn't work out so well. I'm going to keep working on that, though!

Also, I'm adding some new links to the left. They've been in my bookmarks and I realized I hadn't yet included them. I've ordered some nice things from a couple . . .

Enjoy your virtual vacation! :-)

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

Links to this post:

<\$BlogItemBacklinkCreate\$>

3 comment(s):

hi there, cool cupcakes & thanks for sharing the recipes!
take care!

By Blogger MyPeriukBelanga - Is BACK!!, at June 10, 2006 11:11 AM  

No problem! I'm glad you like them!! :-)

By Blogger DAISYCAKES, at June 26, 2006 7:48 PM  

Yum!
I'm definitely printing this recipe.
Great blog you've got here. Very detailed instructions which are so helpful!

I look forward to your next creation

By Blogger Chamberlaine Beard, at July 28, 2008 8:41 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home

Subscribe to cupcakescupcakes
Powered by groups.yahoo.com